Slow Cooker Detox Vegetable Soup
It is sure a wonderful time for all the visitors in Miami. The weather seems like autumn and is quite enjoyable. We are waiting for the arrival of winter. It is time for the abuelita’s delicious caldo (soup). Well, caldo (soup) is not to get warm but to detox all the food we had during the holidays. As the New Year comes along many are looking to detox. It is always good to have healthy way to get rid of unwanted garbage that tend to stay in our system and harm our body. It is good to use Slow Cooker Detox Vegetable Soup to revitalize your body and feel good for the New Year.
The most important element of this soup is the products you put in your soup. We must remember that what you do not like is what is most needed to be healthy and feel good. It is all about the greens and the vegetables. There are several secrets to this soup. Firstly, I learn very early from my grandmother that, a healthy delicious soup goods slowly and simmers for long to get all the flavors just right. I decided to use my abuelita’s soup recipe in my Crock Pot to taste the result as the flavor blends in the slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Detox Soup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large carrot chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 4 lg potatoes diced
- 1 large chayote cubed
- 2 cups green beans chopped
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh oregano chopped
- 1 tsp basil fresh chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt your choice
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups of kale or baby spinach chopped
- 2 T fresh cilantro chopped
Fill pot with vegetable broth and water and let boil.
Add carrots, celery, green beans, potatoes, chayote.
Roast tomato and blend before putting in the pot.
Add spices and give it a stir.
Bring to a boil until vegetables are soft 3 - 5 hours.
Saute garlic and onions in sauce pan until onions are translucent then add to pot and let simmer.
Uncovered over med-low heat for 20 -25 minutes.
Add in kale or spinach and cook for 5 more minutes (it will wilt).
Top with diced onions and cilantro, serve warm.
A secret ingredient is tumeric. This ingredient is good for many things. It helps to soothe and heal the body. This really helps to detox the liver and prepare the body for a healthier you. It releases the stress on the liver. Although I use tomatoes to give it color and flavor, the tumeric adds a beautiful yellow color. I enjoyed this soup as everything was well cooked it almost melted in my mouth. I added some corn that is used for pozole, it had that flavor and I am sure mi querida abuelita (my beloved grandmother RIP)smiled down at me. Memories!! It surely was finger licking!!! (Para chuparse los dedos)
- 1 cuchara de aciete oliva
- 1 cebolla mediana
- 2 sanahoria trocitos
- 1 apio grande trocitos
- 4 papas grandes trocitos
- 1 chayote grande trocitos
- 4 ajo , cortados
- 2 cups green beans,
- 2 tomates grandes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tazas de agua
- 1 1/2 cucharitas de oregano fresco
- 1 tsp albahaca fresco
- 1/2 tsp fresco thyme
- 1 tsp sal
- 1/2 tsp pimienta negra
- 1 cicharita de tumerico
- 2 tazas de espinaca
- 2 cuchara de cilantro fresco, cortados
- Llena la tartera de caldo de vegetales y agua para hervir.
- Añade sanahoria, apio, judias verdes, patatas y chayote en la tartera.
- asa el tomate y mezcla antes de poner en la olla
- Añade las hierbas, sal y pimienta.
- Deja que cuece las verduras hasta que esta suave o 3 – 5 horas
- Saltea el ajo y las cebollas en la sartén hasta que las cebollas sean translúcidas y añade a la olla y dejar cocer a fuego lento.
- Descubierto en fuego mediano a fuego bajo durante 20 -25 minutos.
- Añade en la col rizada o espinaca y cuece por 5 minutos más (se marchitará).
- Cubra con cebollas y cilantro cortados en cubitos, sirva caliente.
Esta receta es simple pero hace mucho para nuestro cuerpo. Es muy necesario cuidarlo para estar bien de salud.
The slow cooker was full but no one waited for me to take pictures. I had to take pictures of what remains. I am happy though that it is half full, lol. After the vegetarians had their fill I added some mutton and the meat was almost melting in my mouth. Exquisite. I definitely got a lot done while it was cooking which was awesome.
This recipe is very simple and keeps our body healthy. It is necessary to take care of our body and be in good health. What is your favorite soup? Please leave us a comment and let us know your favorite soup and why? Did abuelita used to make it?
©Maricela, All Rights Reserved 2012. Written for: Emy Cooks